Rila Monastery and the Spirit of the Mountain
Час и място на тръгване
Eager to explore the country in depth? Join us in a spiritual adventure in the heart of Rila Mountain - one of the world's centers of energy. In one day we will visit the UNESCO protected Rila Monastery and will follow the steps of its founder up in the mountain to find beauty, peace and harmony.
Rila Monastery is the largest and most famous Eastern Orthodox monastery in Bulgaria. It is situated in the southwestern Rila Mountains, 117 km (73 mi) south of the capital Sofia in the deep valley of the Rilska River ("Rila River") at an elevation of 1,147 m (3,763 ft) above sea level, inside of Rila Monastery Nature Park. The monastery is named after its founder, the hermit Ivan of Rila (876 - 946 AD), and houses around 60 monks. Founded in the 10th century, the Rila Monastery is regarded as one of Bulgaria's most important cultural, historical and architectural monuments.
This trip focuses not only on the cultural experience but on combination between nature and spirit. The beautiful Rila Mountain is the highest mountain range in Bulgaria and on the Balkans, with its highest peak Musala (2,925 m). Abundant in glacial lakes (about 200) and hot springs the mountain is vibrant with life and pure energy.
Inspired to learn and experience more? Check out the itinerary for that trip below.
- We meet in front of Alexander Nevski Cathedral in the morning and we head towards Rila Mountain.
- We arrive at the Rila Monastery. We take a guided tour visiting its main church and the museum that shows parts of the authentic residential areas in the monastery. After the tour, we pause for some free time around the monastery. Everyone can take photos in the permitted areas, buy souvenirs or simply wander around.
- At noon we meet again and go for lunch. There are some nice restaurants in the area that offer fresh trout and other tasty meals.
- Once we are done with the lunch we get in the minibus and head to the cave of the hermit Ivan Rilski, the founder of the Rila Monastery. This is the place where he lived. It is a small cave with an entrance and exit hole. The legend has it that no sinner is able to pass through the exit. We will all try to do it.
- We leave all the bad energy behind us, we take some time to contemplate the experience and the beautiful view from the top of the cave. It is thought that this sacred place makes wishes come true. We spend enough time to calm our minds and open our heart and then we go back to our transport.
- We head back to Sofia. We arrive around 17:00.
Price per Person
Guiding fee and mountain insurance:
One Person: 110 EUR
Group of Two: 55 EUR
Group of Three: 35 EUR
Group of Four and above: 25 EUR
Aditional prices per Person
Transportation: 15 EUR
Your tour guide: Maria Dimitrova
Maria is a passionate mountaineer who graduated tourism with focus on Adventure Tourism. Experienced and open-minded, she will make the most out of your trip, enriching it with a blend of personal, cultural and adventure taste.
Your mountain guide: Borislav Dimitrov
Bobi is a certified mountain guide. He will go miles to find the best spot for you. He loves nature and adventures and he is the one to trust if you are looking for an experience to remember.
Clothing & Equipment
Comfortable shoes (preferably mountain shoes; sneakers)
T-shirt (short sleeved or long sleeved, depending on the weather)
Hat and sunglasses
Bottle of water (1 L)
Some snacks (oat bars, chocolate, dried fruits, nuts etc.)