One-day Trip to the Seven Rila Lakes
Час и място на тръгване
Join us in this one-day hiking trip and enjoy the stunning beauty of the world popular Seven Rila Lakes. We offer you an exciting day high up in one of the most spiritual areas of Rila Mountain. We will visit each of the seven glacier lakes, hiking up to the highest one "Salzata" (the Tear) at 2 535 m. elevation above sea level. We will contemplate the breathtaking view and will try to submerge into the feeling of calmness and eternity that surrounds this holy place.
Rila is a mountain range in southwestern Bulgaria and the highest mountain range of Bulgaria and the Balkans, with its highest peak being Musala at 2,925 m. The massif is also the sixth highest mountain in Europe coming after the Caucasus, the Alps, Sierra Nevada, the Pyrenees and Mount Etna. More than one-third of the mountain is occupied by the Rila National Park, the rest lies within the Rila Monastery Nature Park. Rila is abundant in glacial lakes (about 200) and hot springs in fault areas at the base of the mountain. The Seven Rila Lakes are one of the most popular. They are part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The lakes are located one above the other and are connected by small streams, which form tiny waterfalls and cascades.
Our adventure will start in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. From there we will drive to Sapareva Banya, a touristic town in the outskirts of Rila Mountain, popular with its hot springs.
- We meet in front of Alexander Nevski Cathedral and we head towards the town of Sapareva Banya.
- We park near Pyonerska mountain hut and we take the lift that takes us higher in the mountain.
- We start our hiking trip from Rila Lakes hut. We visit each of the lakes, starting with the lowest one called Dolnoto ezero (the Lower Lake) at 2 095 m. We pass by and stop for a while at Ribnoto ezero (Fish Lake, 2 184 m.), Trilistnika (the Trifoil, 2 216 m.), Bliznaka (the Twin, 2 243 m.), Babreka (the Kidney, 2 282 m.), Okoto ( the Eye, 2 440 m.) and Salzata (the Tear, 2 535 m.). Each of the lakes is named after its most characteristic feature. Nestled one after another, they form a crystal clear nackless that is often called the pearl of Rila mountain. We take the time to contemplate their beauty from the top, capturing the spirit of this old glacier mountain, its deep green valleys and hot mineral water springs that boil undernead.
- We take the trail back to the parking lot.
- Back in Sofia it is time to say "Goodbye".
Price per Person
Guiding fee and mountain insurance:
One Person: 140 EUR
Group of Two: 75 EUR
Group of Three: 50 EUR
Group of Four and above: 35 EUR
Aditional prices per Person
Transportation: 20 EUR
Lift ticket: 10 EUR
Level of experience: Advanced
Fitness Level: Fit
Walking time: 3.30-4 hours (hiking time only; moderate difficulty)
Equipment: Participants should bring the following items with them: hiking boots, rucksack (35-45L), trekking poles, water and windproof jacket, rain cover, sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, warm hat and gloves, water bottle (1.5L), torch, personal first aid kit.
Your Mountain Guide
Borislav Dimitrov is an experienced certified mountain guide and chairman of Go-Go- Adventures – association for alternative and adventure tourism. He is passionate mountaineer and would literary go miles to find the best adventure treks for you. Safety always comes first for Bobi, so you should feel assured that your trip will be handled with care and professionalism in order to have the best hiking experience possible.